Faculty Activities & Publications | December 2017 & January 2018
| Jan 26, 2018
Professor Maureen Collins
- Her article “The Law of Jane: Legal Issues in Austen’s Life and Novels” was published in the JASNA Journal, Persuasions.
Professor Lurene Contento
- She was a co-presenter at the Black Women Lawyer’s Association Student Writing Workshop.
Professor Marc Ginsberg
- He gave a presentation on informed consent to the Chicagoland Healthcare Risk Management Society.
Professor Paul Lewis
- His article “The Puerto Rico Bankruptcy: An Analysis” was publsihed in the Insolvency Law Bulletin.
Professor Daryl Lim
- He was interviewed by Perspectives: The Journal of IP Management regarding his views on current IP developments in the U.S.
Professor Ann Lousin
- She provided comments to The Intercept regarding the intersection of Chicago policing and immigration enforcement.
- She provided comments to the Chicago Tribune regarding whether one of Gov. Rauner’s executive orders violated the separation of powers clause.
Professor Steven Schwinn
- He provided comments to ABC News regarding whether a lawyer can admit a client’s guilt against his wishes.
- He wrote a post on the American Constitution Society’s blog regarding executive privilege.
- He provided comments to Roll Call regarding whether Congress crossed a line by telling federal courts what to do with challenges to a Michigan land tract and its use as a Native American casino.
- He coordinated, edited and wrote an introduction for the American Constitutional Law Society’s first annual Supreme Court Review.
- He published the following articles for ABA Preview of the United States Supreme Court Cases
- First Amendment, Masterpiece Cakeshop, Ltd. v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, 45 ABA Preview of United States Supreme Court Cases 95
- Fourth Amendment, Carpenter v. United States, 45 ABA Preview of United States Supreme Court Cases 91
- Separation of Powers, Oil States Energy Services, LLC v. Greene’s Energy Group, LLC, 45 ABA Preview of United States Supreme Court Cases 83
- His Constitutional Law Prof Blog was named among ABA Journal’s Web 100.
- He gave an interview on New York Public Radio WNYC on the history of civil rights.
- He gave an interview on Westwood One Radio regarding federalism.
- He provided comments to Christian Science Monitor regarding the first amendment.
- He provided comments to the Daily Mail regarding Justice Kennedy and liberation.
- He gave two lecturers at the University of Milan. The first presentation was on social rights in the U.S. and South Africa and the second focused on separation of powers and the Trump-Russia investigation.
Professor Mark Wojcik
- He was a panelist and moderator on several different panels at the AALS Annual Meeting.
- He was a guest speaker at the University of San Diego School of Law. He spoke about his experience in Bhutan.
- He was a guest speaker at California Western School of Law. He spoke about cost-effective legal research.
- He gave the presentation, “Law and Legal Education in the Kingdom of Bhutan” at the Union League Club of Chicago Lawyers’ Group.
- He published the article “HIV and Drug Testing of Non-Ethnic Korean Foreign Teachers in South Korea Found Violative of Convention to Eliminate Racial Discrimination: L.G. v. Republic of Korea” in the newsletter of the ABA Section on International Law.
- He published the article, “Liability for Exporting to Iran Does Not Require Proof that the Exports Actually Arrived in Iran” in the newsletter of the ISBA Section on International and Immigration Law.
DIRECTORS & ADJUNCT FACULTY
- He gave a presentation titled “Veterans, Active Duty, the Reserves & Family Law” at the Domestic Relations Division Child Representative Seminar in the Circuit Court of Cook County.
- He gave a presentation titled “Access to Justice for Rural Veterans” at the AMVETS Post 18.
- He gave a presentation titled “Trust and Trauma: Building a Relationship” at Wagner Arbitration in Berlin, Germany.
- He gave a presentation titled “If Not Me, Then Who and If Not Now, Then When: Why Pro Bono” at the Sumpah Permuda School of Law in Palembang, Indonesia.
- He gave a presentation titled “Comparative Approaches to A.D.R. – Avoiding Cultural Assumptions” at UiTM School of Law, Shah Alam, Malaysia.
- He gave a presentation titled “P.T.S.D. in the Rail Industry – Treatment Approaches” at the National Association of Railroad Referees Annual Meeting.
- She was a panelist on the topic of sexual harassment and human rights at the Illinois Department of Human Rights in honor of International Human Rights Day.
- She gave the presentation, “Invisible Women: Syrian Victims of Gender-Based Violence as a Particular Social Group in U.S. Asylum Law” at the Social Practice of Human Rights: Charting the Frontiers of Research and Advocacy Conference at the University of Dayton Human Rights Center.
- She also gave the presentation “The Interconnectedness of the Right to Cultural Heritage and Self-determination at the Human Rights and Cultural Heritage: A New Paradigm Symposium at DePaul University College of Law.
- He was a speaker, mediation trainer and judge at the International Intercollegiate Mediation Tournament hosted by the International Academy of Dispute Resolution at Brenau University.
Raymond J. McKoski
- His op-ed discussing a case before the Florida Supreme Court appeared in the Orlando Sentinel.